Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Dogwhistles? Hell, Bullhorns

H/t John Cole @ Balloon Juice. (BJ comments are raucous - you been warned)

Rep Lynn Westmoreland (R-GA) Michelle and President Obama, "Uppity"

Sen Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) "I think he's gonna have to express some humility based on what we've seen around the country this August and that's not his inclination."

I admit to being a Yankee, by birth, by residence, by family history, and by inclination but the Confederate Party of Republicanism (formerly GOP - Lincoln???) better find a tad bit more subtlety in its dogwhistling if I get it loud and clear. You'd think by their hysteria that Old White Men don't still run the show in this country - except maybe Presidential elections. Did anybody notice the sex and complexion of the bailed-out Investment Banking CEOs, the HealthInc CEOs, the no-bid Federal Contractor CEOs, the Senate, the House, all the Presidents minus the current one, all the VPs, the SCOTUS, the Fortune500, DOW, and take your damn choice of power centers.

I'm a middle-aged white guy (well, not so much thanks to sunshine) and I can see who runs things. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind being male and white and even middle age doesn't bother me, but sometimes my fellows in gender and race make me very nearly ill. There's nothing particularly special about having an outie sexual organ or being melanin challenged (sure, I get a tan on a cloudy day) and there's nothing particularly special about being of a different race and sex but there is something to be said for power being somewhat representative of the distribution of the populace. Actually there's a lot to be said about it not being reflective of the populace - something rather nasty.

There is something really very nasty to be said about those who are in a panic that there is some incremental change happening in that arena. Chambliss proved what kind of cretin he is when he ran against Max Cleland and they're just making it real plain now. If it were just these two, representing as they do the Senate and House arm of the Party Of No To The N****r but there are the 28% BushCo booster loons, birthers, and teabaggers. I wouldn't waste my spit on these two's boots, but I will spend words trying to make real clear that I find them offensive and a waste of oxygen.

A young person quite close to me insisted that racism was nearly dead in the US, I'm afraid I actually laughed out loud. Obviously it sure ain't dying of asphyxiation. Too bad.

2 comments:

Zakariah Johnson said...

Check this Bill Maher rant on the issue, Chuck: Dems, don't be cowards!

Micgar said...

Sean Hannity actually said that there is no racism in this country the other day! What!? There are daily reports of incidents happening around the country that couldn't be anything but racism.
Look on Liveleak, Youtube, the blogs, on the Fox News forums-racism is alive and quite well.

(word verification was "scoff" which I do at ANYTHING Hannity says!)