Thursday, August 02, 2012

We'll Just Call Them Mitts

I know what you think these are
NOPE (Mittens is already in use - usefully)

We need to go with a new name for what some find essential footwear and another finds essential politicking - Mitts.

That partisan waste of ink The NYT reports Mitt had this to say in Israel a couple days ago:
“Culture makes all the difference,” Mr. Romney said. “And as I come here and I look out over this city and consider the accomplishments of the people of this nation, I recognize the power of at least culture and a few other things.” He added, “As you come here and you see the G.D.P. per capita, for instance, in Israel, which is about $21,000, and compare that with the G.D.P. per capita just across the areas managed by the Palestinian Authority, which is more like $10,000 per capita (note - the figure is more like $1500), you notice such a dramatically stark difference in economic vitality. And that is also between other countries that are near or next to each other. Chile and Ecuador, Mexico and the United States.”
He surely shouldn't have bothered his head with little details like an Israeli blockade and control of all access... TPM reports that Tuesday July 31 Mitt went on FauxNews and said:
FOX News’s Carl Cameron grilled Romney on his remarks, which top Palestinian officials immediately denounced as “racist,” in an interview from Poland on Tuesday. The Obama campaign also accused Romney of needlessly inflaming tensions in the region. Romney responded that he “did not speak about the Palestinian culture or the decisions made in their economy,” while adding broadly that a nation’s “choices” affect their outcomes. “That is an interesting topic that perhaps can deserve scholarly analysis but I actually didn’t address that,” Romney said. “I certainly don’t intend to address that during my campaign. Instead I will point out that the choices a society makes have a profound impact on the economy and the vitality of that society.”
That would seem to count as a pretty quick, um, turn-around. Now today he had this to say to NRO:
During my recent trip to Israel, I had suggested that the choices a society makes about its culture play a role in creating prosperity, and that the significant disparity between Israeli and Palestinian living standards was powerfully influenced by it. In some quarters, that comment became the subject of controversy. But what exactly accounts for prosperity if not culture?...
Holy Shitt Mitt... give you a couple days and that's how many position reverses? As I remember the GOPer Convention brought along bandaids and Flip-Flops to mock Sen John Kerry. Now I will admit that I mock Mitts as footwear, I'll just not subject my feet to such abuse and lack of protection. I'm sure some of you who wear the things will be insulted by my retroactive baptism/retirement of what you're acustomed to. Really now, which has become more common? Please don't throw footwear at me...

No comments: