Sunday, June 08, 2008

New Sheriff In Town, Cowboy Action Fun

All dressed up with no place to go? Cowboy Action Shooting requires an alias (Democratic Chuck) and period dress. I find cowboy boots uncomfortable and these are no exception and this is the first cowboy hat I've owned since I was a kid (you guess that was a while ago?) but it is a Stetson and fairly comfortable. The drawers are Carharts, work pants repurposed, and the string tie and western shirt - well rules are rules.


The firearms are the real fun, that's a matched pair of Uberti single action army Colt .45s with birdshead grips in the custom rig. In the left hand is a Russian Remington 12ga side by side hammered coach gun and in the right is a Chaparral Winchester Model 1873 in Colt .45.

All of the firearms are new makes of historical guns, clones if you will, firing smokeless powder but the beard is vintage stuff, home grown if you will. There's no particular point to this posting, just fun stuff that I enjoy doing. When you were a kid playing cowboys your cap guns went pop not boom and they didn't make metal silhouettes go ding nor did anyone keep score. Yep, it's silly stuff, but it is fun. It is also good practice and a lot more real than a video game.

5 comments:

Carla said...

Heh.

Your outfit reminds me of the garb worn by the '62 Days boys in Canyon City when I was growing up.

Never did like the guns, tho. To each his own, eh?

Chuck Butcher said...

One of my pals used to do the '62 Days.

some people like 'em some don't.

JGreenleaf said...

Great duds, Chuck. The sun plaques in the background ruin the tough-guy ambiance a bit, but you certainly look the part.

Chuck Butcher said...

my wife got the sun things and she likes them, so I like them...

I don't suppose that picture would be a good campaign poster.

Some folks take the competition real seriously, I just do it for the fun of it. I like to do well at the things I do, but it takes the fun out of it for me if it's all about the score.

Oregonian37 said...

I dunno about a campaign poster but there could be a neat calendar pin-up in your future!:)