Monday, May 07, 2012

Me, VP Joe Biden, and Evolution

If you had asked me as a teen, forty some years ago, what I thought about gays getting married my response would have been pretty close to, "Huh?" or possibly, "Ick."  I was a teenage boy and it was a long time ago and if I had any thoughts about sexual orientation it would have involved how to get 'her" oriented in my direction.  Shallow, I know.

I was aware of bi-racial marriages and I was astonished that anyone would think it being against the law was a good idea.  The idea that race and marriage were somehow involved with each other was beyond my comprehension.  So my "shallow" excuse only goes just so far...

The point is that I didn't grow up thinking about gay marriage, at all.  I went from zero, I guess, to full throttle and that I suppose is something that could be called evolution.  I don't know exactly when that happened, it was also a long time ago and I guess arriving at the conclusion that gays were simply just some other folks wasn't remarkable enough for me to... remark on it.  Just some other folks is important, it has to do with them having an absolute right to any rights I have.

What VP Joe Biden had to say about gay marriage is nothing remarkable to me, I find it an easy answer to give.  It may seem quite a bit of a statement by the VP, what seems a bit much to me is that there is any reason to have to ask that question.  I understand the politics of it and I understand how the President could still be evolving - politically.  It is also silliness.

Well, silliness is neither new or unusual.

I've never had any sexual desire for a man.  The fact that men or women can get married has no effect on me, it is entirely immaterial - I'm simply heterosexual and will remain so regardless of whatever social accommodations we reach (or don't) with homosexuality.  The question is whether or not we will treat our fellows as our fellows, there is no other question.

1 comment:

Robot said...

Obama is evolving "with all deliberate speed." Pretty ironic for a constitutional law professor.